The Library has staff available to notarize documents free of charge.
Please contact the location to make sure someone is available. This service does not require an appointment, but a Notary may not be available at all times the library is open. To ensure a Notary will be available, please call the location you would like to visit or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A La Porte County Public Library card is not required to use this service.
Guidelines for Notary Service
- Documents to be notarized must be signed in front of the Notary. Do not sign them beforehand.
- Documents to be notarized must be complete. Bring the entire document, not just the page(s) that needs to be signed.
- All people signing the document(s) must be physically present to have their signature notarized.
- Valid photo identification is required for each person signing the document. The following types of photo IDs are accepted: state-issued driver’s license or ID card, passport or military ID. It needs to be current or not expired within the previous 3 years. Your name on the ID must match the name on the document being notarized.
- If your document requires witnesses, it will expedite the process if the witnesses accompany you to the notarization. This is especially important if you will be going to a branch location for the service.
- Notaries reserve the right to decline service if any of the above guidelines are not met, if there are concerns about the authenticity of the documents, or if the individual(s) signing the documents appear to be unaware of what they are signing or under duress.
- LPCPL notaries do not have the license required to notarize real estate closings or mortgage loans that involve title insurance.